Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Night-A magical Time

People wonder why I’m a creature of the night. I wonder why they’re not.

The night is a magical time. The night is when the action begins. Just for confirmation, in case I’m sounding like a wild party animal, I’m not. I am not so much as a blip on the wild party radar.(My midnight action extends to calling friends over for a sleepover and catching a movie or talking all night. That’s the kind of wild-party-animal I am). So even if you’re not one to go club-hopping , the night still can hold a lot of potential. For one, night is when the calls begin. I mean the kinda calls that start at around 10 and last well until around 3 in the morning and which cover every conceivable topic of conversation under the sun. And then of course are the messages. And movies. And books. There’s nothing quite like curling up with a good book and reading till day break. And when I have a deadline to meet (read: record submission or a test the next day), night is when I get my work done.

But there really is something magical about this particular time of the day. Night is when a lot is said and done which wouldn’t at any other time. Night is when a lot of confessions are made. People say a lot of stuff, which they wouldn’t dare to be caught dead saying or which they would laugh away at any other time.
This is the time for proposals of undying love. This is the time for sweet nothings. This is the time for the sob stories. This is the time for apologies. This is generally the best time for utterly mindless conversations. A lot of people say stuff in the night and then wake up the next day and wonder how they could have been so stupid. And this happens to everyone, even those who are absolutely sober; so be warned.

I think it has something to do with the air which makes people sappy at night. Or rather it’s the stillness and privacy of the night which causes even tight-lipped highly unemotional people to babble. And even the ones who are not doing the talking seem to be more receptive (or defenseless) than usual. I really don’t know, I’ve given up trying to find out why. And I guess the reason really doesn’t matter. So now I just avoid phone calls in the night, especially when I’ve got something to hide or when I’m dying to say something which I know I’ll regret in the morning. Or on the other hand, I manipulate the situation when I want someone to spill the beans about something. Hehehe…………*evil grin*.

But the night can also be lonely. The silence stifling. The minutes depressing. Sometimes, even if I’ve just had a wonderful day, I still get a sudden , unexplained bout of sadness at night. A few drops of tears when you don’t even know what you are crying for. I’ve heard of lover’s pangs (of course everyone has, what with all the tamil movies with sad, sentimental songs sung at night, preferably looking at the moon. New york nagaram urangum neram.., nillave va from mouna ragam, yada yada) but do single people feel that as well??? Any other time of the day, and I can just up and leave, go for a drive or a movie until my defences are back and I feel better. But since I cant exactly do that at 2 in the morning, I’m left to wallow in my own solitude until I get so tired wallowing and fall asleepL

I guess being an insomniac has its own pros and cons just like everything else(so what else is new???) and I conclude (using my usual, standard punch dialog after every debate or essay or speech) that every thing has positives and negatives and we should only take the positives in our stride. Yaawn………gud nite.

The day is done, and the darkness
Falls from the wings of night,
As a feather is wafted downward
From an eagle in his flight.
I see the lights of the village
Gleam through the rain and the mist,
And a feeling of sadness comes o'er me
That my soul cannot resist:
A feeling of sadness and longing,
That is not akin to pain,
And resembles sorrow only
As the mist resembles the rain.


-Longfellow (one of my fave poets)


P.S. That’s another trick to use in speeches- qoute some famous guy. G’night.

2 comments:

I AM~~ ME said...

hey
night times are the best for anything u have said and much more too. being a night-bird like us, just rocks. loved your style. keep writing!

sindhuja .. (err..may.. for better understanding! )

Anonymous said...

he he thanx may