Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Seven Pounds


You know....... the movies I actually enjoy the most are the ones where I go into the theatre having no idea of what is gonna happen, not even a vague outline of the plot, or sometimes not even knowing what genre it is. When you sit in the dark not knowing what the movie is all about, that’s when it hits you the most. Every scene is a revelation. Some movies literally blow you off your feet. But then, such an experience is a rare one. Often, the trailers just give away too much information or I just can’t stand the suspense ay more and I read the reviews. Although reviews don’t exactly carry spoilers, they still give u a sketch of the storyline and the necessary ‘punch’ when you watch the movie is lost. Still I try not to read the reviews when what I believe a ‘really good’ movie is coming, which I want to watch before somebody else watches it first and tells me the story. (But this technique has a downside, you place yourself at the risk of utterly horrible movies which you'd never have watched had you known the story beforehand. Sometimes you just can't assume that a good director or an excellent actor will deliver a great movie. Case in point:Sivaji).

One such movie I’m waiting for now is ‘seven pounds’ (though I already read half the review and now I know what it’s about………L). The trailer is perfect. It doesn’t give away too much. Even the cast are playing their cards close to the chest and not revealing too much about the movie during the promotion campaigns. The movie is releasing in India on jan 23rd. Don’t try to google the movie (that’s the mistake I did) ‘coz the movie has already released in other parts of the world and those who have watched it already, instead of keeping their mouths shut like a good movie-goer, out almost the entire story in their reviews.  But all of them unanimously agree that the movie is awesome. Considering that the movie is from the same team who made ‘Pursuit of Happiness’, that’s not entirely surprising though ‘Pursuit…’ is a tough act to follow.

The movie is about (hey I’m not divulging anything more than Will Smith did in his interview, so you can read it without calling me a hypocrite) one man who suffers a trauma in his life and then sets out to change seven lives to make right his mistake. The name stands for the seven pounds of flesh he willingly sacrifices (think Shakespeare). And in the process, he changes his whole life as well. As Will says “Just by waking up today, you can change someone’s entire life” or something like that. That’s a nice thought to chew on........

No comments: