Saturday, June 25, 2011

Slow

Thats how my life is now. Flat. Predictable. And incredibly slow. I go to work, wait for work to get assigned to me, come back, sleep. Sometimes, like today, I go swimming in the tiny pool in my apartment. 20 strokes and I am in the other end. But just being in the water is so comforting, like being back in the womb, and leaves you feeling all warm and fuzzy. Very rarely, again like today, my roommate and I also go out for dinner. But then, as we just realized today, the roads are so fricking deserted that even a water sprinkler turning on in a bush scares the fricking daylights out of us. You know you're in the middle of nowhere when you google for clubs nearby and the first result you get is 'Crazy Horse Gentleman's Club'. Aaah I miss LA! I miss the university, my studio, my friends, the goofing around taking pictures, the cooking, the dancing, the fun.

So anyway, life goes on in its own slow pace. Once in a while drama comes along. Like today when I broke a nail and started hyperventilating so much that I had to breathe in a bag. And I wanted to be a medical doctor, a brain surgeon at that, thank God for that career choice not working out. So I called my mom and started whimpering to her about my broken nail. You would think a 22 year old girl would have better sense and maturity. And people my age are having babies....jeez!

Its so weird knowing the girls you went to school with and suffered teenage awkwardness with and discovered boys with are getting married and starting families. All while you are still a student and living on your parent’s money. I cant imagine how our get-togethers will be from now on, who will come, what we’ll talk about. I just don’t want to go there, that far ahead in the future, even though that future is almost here. And I’ll have to start thinking about wedding gift ideas. Do I get something for just her, or something for him and something for her, or something for them, or just give money? Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh! Weddings!

It just hit me now how some people are so different from the perception you have of them I always thought my roommate/college friend was a super dooper chilled out person but she's also this incredibly organized, meticulous and family-oriented person that I never knew existed. It also just hit me how lucky I am to have got my first dose of the US in California and in LA at that. Watching my friend discover Cal, makes me realize  I can never be happy in any other state now that I've been here. Anyway, its tough eavesdropping on your roommate's conversation and attempting to write a blog at the same time. So writing later. Eavesdropping now.

No comments: